Formerly a Presbyterian Church the church had it beginnings in the mid 1860’s. When Rev. John Kennedy McMillan came to Australia from Scotland in 1858, he was called to Beechworth and during his ministry there visited Mansfield for the purpose of establishing a charge in this district.
Prior to the erection of the church building worship had been conducted in private houses, but of this, records are not available.
The foundation stone of St. Andrew’s was laid by John Bon, Esq., of Wappan, Bonnie Doon, on 26th October, 1866. The building was completed in 1868 and Rev. J. K. McMillan conducted the first service.